Who We Are
In January 2013, Anderson County, Tennessee conducted a homeless persons point in time count as part of the U.S.. Department of Housing and Urban Development Annual Homeless Assessment. The results showed a significant transitional homeless population. A local temporary refuge for the transitional homeless was greatly needed by agencies as they worked on obtaining permanent housing. So the concept of AGAPE HOUSE was envisioned. In May 2013 the AGAPE HOUSE plan was put into action when local residents made available a foreclosure home in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. It required significant work and investment and the project enjoyed broad based community support. (See our supporters page). In February 2014 a Charter of Incorporation of a non-profit corporation was filed with the State of Tennessee and AGAPE HOUSE officially opened and welcomed its first guests. On November 6th, 2014 Agape House of Oak Ridge received it's 501c3 Federal non profit organization status retroactive to February 26th, 2014. In February 2016 Agape House 2 our second location opened and was immediately occupied. On February 19th, 2017 our third location was opened and will soon be occupied.
The primary purpose of AGAPE HOUSE is to provide for our guests short term, temporary housing and other support services as a stepping stone on their path to self sufficiency. All guests are referred by one of our referring agency partners and only one guest family per location.
What We Do
Agape House located in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, is a temporary refuge for transitional homeless persons who are referred by a local partnering agency. We provide short term housing and other support services as steps toward self sufficiency.
- Before being placed in Agape House guests will need to have a firm housing plan and a fixed exit date established by the referring agency.
- Stays will be short term (30 days or less) and the referring agency may have to post a security deposit.
- All potential guests will personally meet with the Agape managers before being accepted.
- All guests will sign a lease agreement that includes the rules of Agape House.
- There is no cost to either the referring agency or the guest.
Agape House would like to recognize the following partners and referring agencies.
- Habitat for Humanity Anderson County
- TORCH Trinity Out-Reach Center of Hope
- Ecumenical Storehouse
- United Way Anderson County
- Ridgeview Behavioral Health Services
- Prevent Child Abuse Tennesse
Our Current Status
Agape House 2 is currently unoccupied.
Agape House 3 is occupied until June 14th
We have a new Address!!
All correspondence should now be sent to the following address:
Agape House of Oak Ridge
PO Box 4932
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-4932 Please note that the zip code is 37831
Amazon shoppers! Please go to your home page and click on Amazon Smile to register Agape House of Oak Ridge (use full name) as your designated charity. Amazon will donate 0.5% of all your purchases to Agape House at no cost to you. Thank you for doing this.
Would you like to know more about Agape House ?
We would love to speak to your church or civic group about Agape House. Email or call us (Contact info below) to set up a time.
Like us on Facebook
We now have a Facebook page!! If you are a Facebook person please see our page and "LIKE US". Sign in to facebook and search Agape House of Oak Ridge. Connect us to your network so that we might grow.
Who Has Helped Us
Agape House wishes to thank the following people for their generous support.
- Brian and Barbara Bovee
- Gordon Brewer in memory of Andrew Jordan
- Gerry and Charlie Hahs
- Evelyn O. Armstrong
- Joan Anderson (in Honor of Judy Cohan)
- Dan and Marilyn Nagle
- Robert and Marian Varner
- Tom and Ann Wheeler
- Bill and Ouida Steinkamp
- Steve Fielden
- Carlos and Cindy Reed
- Brad and Erin Webb
- Sandy and Lawson Wright
- Judy Cohan
- Ron and Linda Battle
- Joseph and Thelma McGrory
- Dan Robbins
- Jim and Donna Henry and Family
- Jonathon and Donna Forstrom
- Steve and Ellen Kennel
- Mary Lou and John Auxier
- Linda Morel
- Susan Moore
- Tersa Brittain
- Dub Shults
- Ralph and Belinda Aurin
- Emily Jernigan
- Jennifer and Cooper Henry
- Thomas Bookhart
- Martin and Besty Bauer
- Judy Kidd
- Jason and Christine Cheney
- Maureen and Hal Hoyt
- Diane Wilson
- Adam Humpreys
- Thelma and Dick Tyndall
- Charles annd Betty Campbell
- Joan Anderson
- Denny and Ann Siemsen
- Eleanor Wistrom
- Bob and Carolyn Henderson
- Jane and Martin Grossbeck
- Stephen Bell and Rose Anne Hartman-Bell
- George and Andrea Wignall
- Jeanne Gorman
- Dr. Rabi Hakeem
- Richard Chirip
- Bebe Arnold
- Ed and Judy Statzer
- Elisabeth Gallmeier
- Bettie Preston
- Tom and Pat Lakers
- Troy and Christina Forrester
- Kimberly Houston
- Joe Horton
- Tom Beehan and Kay Brookshire
- Wayne and Bea Garber
- Lissie and Michael Beehan
- Moonis and Nafis Ally
- Jerry and Christina Young
- Lois Martin and Larry Creech
- John and Martha Prazniak
- Al and Karen Reardon
- Pam and Hal Jernigan
- Kate Jernigan
- Fred and Sandra Barry
Agape House wishes to thank the following businesses and civic groups for their generous support.
- ORUD Oak Ridge Utility District
- Bed'R Mattress Oak Ridge Jimmy Welch
- S & S Cleaning Company Sarah and Shelly
- Cumberland Presbyterian Women Ruth Circle
- Countryside Tire and Auto
- Oak Ridge Noon Rotary Club
- Yahweh Sisterhood SS Class FUMC Oak Ridge
- First Christian Church Oak Ridge
- Koinonia SS Class First United Methodist Church
- Realty Center Peggy Hanrahan
- Enrichment Federal Credit Union
- Christian Homemaking Circle First United Methodist
- Summit Pest Control, Gordon Brewer
- Oak Ridge Unitarian Universalist Church
- Pinnacle Bank
- Downtown Hardware, Ann Bratton and Roger Clary
- Oak Ridge Breakfast Rotary Club Foundation
- ORNL Federal Credit Union
- Active Electric Heating and Cooling, Lynn Byrge
- Christian Homemaking Circle, First United Methodist
- Faith Lutheran Church
- Green Spot Irrigation, Glen Marlowe
- R&S Home Improvement owner Robert Scroggins
- The Other One Deli, Jimmy and Amanda
- Scandlyn Lumber, Kingston Lance Scandlyn
- Oak Ridge Woman's Club
- St. Stephen's Episcopal Church Oak Ridge
- The Ferrell Shop, Barbara Ferrell
- Ladies of Hope Oak Ridge
- Danny's Plumbing, Danny Scott
- Daughters of the King St. Stephens Episcopal Church
- First United Methodist Church (FUMC)
- Danny Driver Bailey Insurance
- Branches small group, FUMC Oak Ridge
- Lauren R Biloski Attorney Ritter, Biloski and Associates
- Channing R Miller Attorney
- United Church Chapel on the Hill
- Melvin Cotham Mel-Co Enterprises
- Creative Directions Circle small group FUMC
- Willow Ridge Garden Center
- Fellowship SS Class of FUMC Oak Ridge
- Shawn B. Foster LCSW
- Tri-County Small Animal Hospital Linda Osborne DMV
Agape House depends on our annual fundraiser for 35% of its operating budget. We are happy to announce that this years "An Evening of Everything Chocolate" met our fundraising goal. Our dessert contest gold medal winner this year is Melanie Fillauer for her Jack Daniels Fudge Pie. Rebecca Bowman won a silver medal for her Cookies With a Kick! We thank our sponsors, our ticket sellers, our volunteers and all of you who attended this years event. We are looking forward to executing our plan for 2017 and with your continued suppoert we will be able to do just that.
We would like to thank the following Sponsors of this years Fundraiser: Kent Smitherman MD, Tom and Debby Clarey, Gordon and Sabrina Brewer, Lauren Biloski, Channing Miller, Peggy and Tom Hanrahan, Danny Driver, Dennis Haley, Daniel Conrad MD, Cyndie and Rodney Renfro, John and Linda Yarborough,Tom lakers, Jim Henry MD, Karen Wily, Rick Carringer, Tracy Larabee, Tracy Pesut, Tom Beehan and Kay Brookshire, Eleanor Wistrom. John Soldano DDS, Warren and Judy Gooch, Countryside Tire and Auto, Jeremy Biggs, Ridgeview Behavioral Services, ORUD Oak Ridge Utility District, Benita Albert, Elizabeth Rea, Bob and Maxine Schultz, Sam and Stella Roberts, Steve Riser, Steve Felden, Chuck's Care Care Center, Enrichment Federal Credit Union, Kroger and Home Depot.
Together we can and will make our community a better place.
How You Can Help
- Pray for this initiative and for our Guests!!
- Invite Michael and Lynn to speak at your church or civic group.
- Donate an item or two from our Current Needs list below.
- We, of course, would greatly appreciate monetary gifts. 100% of your contribution goes directly to the care and services for our guests. Tax deductible contributions to Agape House can be made by writing a check to Agape House of Oak Ridge and sending to Agape House of Oak Ridge PO Box 4932 Oak Ridge, TN 37831-4932
Our Current Needs
- We need 2 new or working used DVD player
- Childrens Books and Games
- Family Oriented DVD's
- Small Tables and Night Stands
- Prayers for this initiative and for our Guests past, present and future!!
Agape House is pet free to be able to accommodate guests with allergies so families with pets need to find temporary refuge for them.
Remember this would be for less than 30 days and greatly appreciated by our guests. Email if your interested in helping with this.
Chairman Thomas J. Lakers
Secretary Frederick J. Barry
Treasurer Dr. James Henry
2016 Advisory Board
Assistant Director Ron Battle
Jenny Caughman Pastoral Care
Lauren R. Biloski Attorney
Channing R. Miller Attorney
Shawn B. Foster Licensed Social Worker
Tracy Larabee Accountant
Karen Reardon Groundskeeper
Al Reardon Business Administration
Katharina Gallmeier Marketing and Graphic Arts
Director of Agape House
Call us: 865-321-1130
Agape House of Oak Ridge
PO Box 4932
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-4932